1. take an empty table, as found (every time I have been in, it was like that, bare…
2. locate jumbled up box of plastic animals: sort.
3. find the one magnet you seem to find.
4. group and box the plenty mirrors found.
5. find boxes that will fit in the grooves and start dreaming about things you can fill them up with…
a non exhaustive list?
water toys: float sink
light/ torches/ filters/ prisms
sea creatures – but could do with real
dinosaurs – but could do with more
self moving toys
take photos for labels…
6. Hope to find more resources without having to spend too much of my own money!
And now, I feel like finding a great blog/ site about science ideas for the Early Years… hmmmm…
I finally found myself able to get out and wash some of the outside equipment! How exiting! What a lot of work! My fingers are terribly dry and sore! Still a fair bit to go, but such a good progress today, I cannot but feel positive, and exhausted!
Here are a few pictures of it when only the easel had been washed! Can you spot my child labour, oops, sorry, I mean my helper, doing the washing up?
Also sorted today: library, tidying the new stationary and books, emptying the cupboard that I do not believe I will need, finish (or just nearly finished) cleaning the Art table, and organised the Junk modelling D&T table! How very exciting! (post on that one coming soon!)
Hoping to be back in tomorrow, though that will depend on my guests plans… Can I really justify asking them to come in and help???
This is a frustrated entry, as I have organised to take my kids to a craft activity this morning when all I want to do is go into school!
I am an obsessive deranged woman at the moment: two nights ago, I only slept for an hour because I was thinking up resources I won’t have time to make, storage solutions that, well, as previous, thinking plans that hopefully will work out… in brief , I am raving on lunacy!
So it is probably a good thing that I am off doing something else today. That could be why I had a good night sleep, that and the fact that I have rescued about 5 boxes and 12 little trays from my stash… Never underestimate the power of a box, nor that of a hoarder!
So what is on my mind as I am waiting for my children to finish their breakfast? DISPLAYS!
I have a love hate relationship with displays… they can really brighten a room, they show what we do in class, they can be a great teaching tool but….
– they take so much time to put up together (and take down)
– I lack the artistic flare and talent that others seem to have who make absolutely amazing looking ones.
– They are just another item on a very long to-do / keep on top of list!
I have 7 to prepare, and a whole lot of visuals for my teaching area! Fun fun fun! Wish me luck!
And off I go to make crafty stuff with my children instead!
And here I thought that today, all would be clean and sorted! But oh no! Instead I sorted and found more mess, found more muddled up maths resources…
– the art area is starting to look more organised
– all maths resources are sorted, though I am in dire need of more storage, and what I do have offers so little flexibility (see previous rant… sorry, post)
– I have singled handedly moved the library
– my classroom is starting to look like my vision… shame that I haven’t solved the ‘Junk modelling’ table dilemna ( as in where can I fit it in)
– my kiddies are coping really well with just hanging out whilst I face my herculean task!
on the flip side, I still have to:
– sort all the resources from the outdoor classroom (which is such a great space!)
– finish tidying and cleaning the art resources
– still need to label everything as I like it! Photos and handwritten!
– and biggest dilemna of all: decide whether I buy tonnes of boxes myself now or patiently wait for the school to do so…. I know which is wisest, but patience is not my best quality when I want to get things done!!!!
More photos tomorrow hopefully, I seem to have once again misplaced my camera… maybe smaller is better is not the way for me!
I have been in today to sort a bit, and my goodness did it need to: I have never seen such muddled up maths resources! Call me picky, but I like for everything to have a home, and for each box to only have one type of thing in it!
So here we are, I have sorted through the maths resources, and found some good stuff, but also feel like a lot is missing… Maybe I will find more resources as I go along (no clocks???)
There also seem to be next to no science resources, but 12 boxes of dressing up clothes… hmmm
I am so not won over by the furniture in the class: very little flexibility as to depth of trays, they are too high… oh well, here, moan done!
I am going back tomorrow to sort more out.
Here is the classroom plan as of today:
Today was so exciting, just to get in and start tidying!
The fact that I am only covering for a maternity leave makes things a bit tricky, as I know I am very likely to handback the classroom at the end of the school year, but hey, it still meant that I could clear up the art cupboards and other stuff like that. I found what felt like a whole stationer’s supplies of staples, pins, paper clips (so many paper clips, in all sizes, me who never use them!!!!), and sticky notes… Amazing.
It was so nice to meet the caretaker too. He seems genuinely nice and wants to help me set up, he even came up with solutions when I stated how much I hate high level furniture that blocks of my view ( I like to see all at all times, I do!)
Anyways, I am looking forward to being in there with my TA to be, who has been in the class last year, to know exactly what I can get rid of and what is treasure to the school/ classteacher. Can’t wait to get it all ready. Just sorting through the display resources made me ache to start! They look great, and now that they are actually filed, it will be easier to get to them.
I must be mad: here I am, at the beginning of August, already planning my room! I so wish tghis could be a permanent post and feel like the classroom is mine to do as I want. Well, this morning I was thinking, if nothing all, I am tidying and organizing it for the present teacher. Still, I will be in there for a whole year, so I might as well make it my own! As far as is reasonable!…
Here is how it stands now!